Saturday, September 15, 2012

Chapter 1 : First Impressions


Disclaimer : All characters in this story are pre-made sims in Sunset Valley, Sims 3. None of the custom content featured here are my creations. Thank you. 

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

"So," I thought wryly, "This is home".

The room was bare, with dark green paint and a shingled floor. The furniture was new: just a cheap bed and a simple cupboard. However there was a nice view from the floor length window and I had managed to cheer things up with a dramatic bed cover.

Altogether, I had to admit it was better than I had expected. My friends back home had tried to discourage me by all plausible means: the chief horror tale being the hideous dumps in the sleepy, provincial counties.






Sunset Valley was a sleepy old town, with a population of just around five thousand. Its only claim to fame was the Do Peas Tower, one of the oldest companies in the Landgraab Industries. Landgraab Industries was the highest grossing company in the whole state, and unarguably more than half the town worked there.

I would be an exception. I had just graduated with a major in Political Science and would be starting my internship as a campaign organizer at the Town Hall. 

Frankly, the job placement had been disappointing. But having barely scraped through college, I had only myself to be blamed for being such a wild party girl. 

That was the main reason I had accepted the job. I was disillusioned. I had been one of a handful of cheerleaders to enter college. There I had spent most of my time partying, sleeping around and boozing. It was a nasty stint with drugs that had been my wake-up call.In this quiet old town, there was bound to be less excitement and more chance to start over.

The ring of my phone woke me up from my reverie.

"Hi Xander."

"Hi Tammy, I just got off work. Wanna have a tour around town this evening?"

"Sure, I'd love it. At around four then?"

"Great. I'll pick you up."

At least I wasn't all alone. Xander was a good old friend from high school who had moved here with his family some years ago. 

I quickly finished unpacking. I was hungry and eager to explore the town. 

The huge area across the landing was a combination of a sitting room, dining room, kitchenette and study. 

I would be sharing the place with four others: two girls and two boy. I wryly wondered what Pa would have said about that.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Two of my roommates were at the table. I had already met Emma. She was a cook at the local bistro: a short, unattractive girl with a massive lump of fat that perfectly suited her job.

"Hi Tam! Come for lunch!" Emma beamed, showing off garishly stained teeth.

The guy beside her at the table screamed out Nerd Unlimited. He looked up from wolfing down his food and winked at me. 

My nose pricked up as I caught the whiff of my favorite meal,  dim-sum.

"I've made Goopy Carbora today." Emma grinned.

"Wow cool," I said, somewhat impressed.

"This is Cyclone" Emma motioned to the Nerd Unlimited guy.

He grinned at me and then looked pointedly at my top.



"Nice shield for nice goods." he remarked and looked around as if expecting a round of applause.
"Don't mind Cyclone." Emma quickly said as I opened my mouth to retort. "He never understands what is proper  and what isn't."

"Come on Emz, I was just joking. And your name ma'am?" he laid down his fork and held out his hand.

"Tamara, Tamara Donner." I gingerly shook his hand.

"I'm Cyclone Sword"

"Pardon?" I blinked wandering whether it was one of his off-color jokes.

"Cyclone as in the Cyclone Ophelia and Sword as well as in the ... well you know what they used to fight in battles."

"That used to be his gamer name in high school and he made it his legal name when he started working." Emma interjected.

I served myself a plateful. The food tasted even better than it smelled.




"Ah Emma, Always my interpreter." Cyclone smiled indulgently, pinching her cheek. She seemed used to it and didn't even winch!

"So you are a programmer?" I asked. It was obvious.

"No, I'm a journalist."he replied airily. He was used to-and evidently enjoyed-the surprise it caused . 

I blinked. "That's very interesting."I mustered. Life in this sleepy town was weirder than I had expected.

"Tamara is a representative at the Town Hall." Emma said.

Cyclone raised an eyebrow. "You are bound to have a pretty hectic time." he said. "They say its tough competition between Vita Alto and Malissa Montgomery for the mayor elections this May."




"Malissa Montgomery?" I was surprised. My supervisor, Tori Kimura had briefed me on the candidates. Mrs.Montgomery was a former schoolteacher: well respected and extremely efficient. But against the likes of an experienced local council member like Ms.Alto, she was merely a joke.

"She'd have been mincemeat." Cyclone said as if guessing my thoughts. "If Nancy Landgraab hadn't offered to back her up. In reality, its not Montgomery vs Alto, but Landgraab vs Alto."

"Alto is bad news." Emma said crisply. 

Cyclone chuckled. "Emma hates her; thinks she's far too uptown."

"Definitely." Emma shrugged distastefully.

"I say that the Altos were the best thing that ever happened to Sunset Valley. She's been on the council for just a year, and the school and hospital have got major makeovers. And don't forget that Nick Alto has doubled Do Peas Tower's profit since he became Vice President."


"Ms.Landgraab says that the quicker you rise, the faster you fall. I agree with her." Emma snapped back heatedly.

Cyclone laughed suddenly. "Emma decided to hate Ms.Alto after she said in an interview that she had no patience with lazy women who didn't care for themselves and ended up being puddings."

"Talk about unhealthy body image attitude. And no, that's not why I hate her. She's too snobbish for words!"

"Nancy Landgraab is a snob. She barely gives an interview. Ms.Alto is very friendly."

"Nancy Landgraab is from good old stock. These Altos' jumped out of nowhere and think they can change the town."

 I listened bemusedly. I would be working as an campaign assistand to Ms.Alto and it seeemd that my campaigning would begin right from home.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------




The same sentiments were echoed in the club that evening. From what I could see, the whole town seemed geared up for a campaign that was a good six months away.

"I bet old Montgomery will win." Jared Frio said glumly. "I don't care much for him, but lord is Nancy determined!"

"I like her!" Jared's giggly companion Maddison said. "And Nancy's a dear! She's a bit cool, but once you get to know her, she really shines through. I don't care much for Mr.Alto though. He's a meanie."

"Mr.Alto's tough, not mean. He hates slackers, otherwise he wouldn't be so damn efficient." Xander said almost devotedly.

Xander had brought me to the club at the end of the around-the-town tour. True, I was determined to stop partying but I couldn't see any harm in an occasional trip to a club, specially in a town as sleepy and peaceful as Sunset Valley. And it would definitely be a good place to mingle with people.

I had not been disappointed. It was a Sunday evening, but the club was full.  Club Scorpion was a new and trendy club. Built in the shape of a scorpion, looking somewhat out of place in the green landscape.

"Who would have thought of a club like this in sleepy old Sunset Valley if not for Nick Alto?" Xander said as if reading my thoughts. "God, it used to be like Prohibition!"

Maddisson shrugged. "Clubs aren't everything." she said defensively. "You do know that the police made a drug heist here last week?"

"There'll be more." Xander replied curtly. "If Vita Alto isn't elected. Montgomery will ruin the town. Remember how Nancy Landgraab's budget proposals made Do Peas' shares plummet?"

Madison shrugged. "You may have your say," she said wearily. "But mark my words, it will be a disaster." she stood up abruptly. "Care to dance, Jared?"

Jared followed her to the dancing floor and Xnder and I were left together.

"Madison works at Do Peas Towers and is very pro-Landgraab." he laughed, taking a swing at his glass, "Another drink, Tamara?"

"No thanks, I don't want to have a hangover tomorrow."

"Care to dance?" he stretched out a hand and I followed him to the dance floor.




They were playing my favorite band and Xander was a great dancer.

 "You seeing anybody?" he asked as we whirled around.

"Not at the moment. I broke up with my ex before coming here. He wanted more commitment and I just wasn't ready."


"Well, you won't be alone for long. you were one hot cheerleader whom every guy would have given anything to date."

 I laughed. Xander had been a heartthrob in high school and the years had only improved his looks. I had had a major crush on him during Junior High, but it had gone nowhere. Whenever one was single, the other was occupied elsewhere.



"Except you?" I asked flirtatiously. 

"I was too nervous. I regret that to this day." He slipped his arms around my waist and drew me around in a fast waltz.

"But perhaps its not too late."

His smile was entrancing as he pulled me closer. 

I held my breath, lost in the moment. It seemed as if his dark hazel eyes numbed my senses. 

He suddenly leaned closer. "I always had the biggest crush on you in high school," he murmured.

His lips were very close to mine and I could feel his breath warm on my face.

It was a slow, sweet kiss for what seemed like an eternity. The music was perfect.


"I think I'm not so nervous to ask you out now." he said as the song ended and we drew apart.


We returned to the table and he ordered a round of drinks.

Looking over the waterfront, I mused that my stay at Sunset Valley had taken off well. The club seemed full of cool people. My roommates were crazy, but at least I had a constant supply of good food and information. And I had been reunited with a high school crush.

It seemed almost too good to be true.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A/N
I'm new to taking photos, so bear up with me:)! I spent hours just trying to position the camera!

Just a few questions to keep us engaged...
What is your first impression of Tamara?
Will she be able to let go of her past habits?
Will she manage to get along with her crazy roommates?

I love comments!
And I'm very much open to constructive criticism for my writing style as well as the plot.

Look forwards to Chapter 2! 

No comments:

Post a Comment